Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Psgotti, Anyone

Family Home Evening is usually less effective around here. Jason and I aren't very creative about lessons. But we needed to have a family-unity lesson that the kids could participate in. So, we made "psgotti," or, as the rest of the world knows it, biscotti.

My kids LOVE biscotti. I'm not sure why. I mean, I love it, but usually munchkins go for something sugar- & fat-laden. So, mixing the ingredients together, knowing that there was a very good thing to expect at the end, made it easy for Graham & Cami to want to work together. A rather successful FHE.

I also had a secondary motive. Cami's school was having a bake sale. And homemade biscotti is just a tad more sophisticated than the brownies & pound cakes that I saw back in the States. Well, biscotti was too sophisticated for the intended customers. All the treats got laid out in the computer room (very brave), then the kids were let loose (with some parental supervision). Each treat, no matter the type, cost 20 pence. Before my eyes was a spectrum of colorful treats designed specifically for the sugar- and fat-lovers under age 7. My bowl of biscotti was untouched until I touched it. I HAD to. All the biscotti at our house was gone & Cami was going to want some when we got home. . . plus, I can't have anybody feeling sorry for me, except me.

I still feel just a little self-conscious about it all, but I am feeling some vindication. Believing that all the biscotti from Monday was gone, Graham and I just made more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biscotti? Homemade!? Ooh. Let me go dig around in our "foreign coin jar" for some pence.....
I wonder if choc-chip cookies and brownies would have been a hit there. I don't remember seeing much of those in the UK. What, please tell, did the locals make to sell?

Kristin said...

Yeah, Starr, I can eat psgotti from dawn until dusk. Bunch of rustics...don't know a real delicacy when they see it.

Jen said...

You are far more ambitious than me! I would have been the one with the brownies! I have been MIA all week- man it has been crazy! Why don't I have a handle on my life? After the kids are down I am going to head over to my email- who knows what is going on while I type this!

Marie Rayner said...

Starr, I am playing catch up this morning, catching up on all the reading I have misssed due to extra hours at work. I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but glad that you got to see him one last time. (((hugs))) Thank goodness for the gospel which teaches us that families are forever. I Loved reading each one of your posts here this morning and seeing the lovely pictures of the children and reading about them. I am so glad that you are happy in our England. It makes me smile. Hard to believe that you are only a few hours away. Would that we could meet one day. That would be so nice. I have never been to Leeds. :-)

Marie Rayner said...

Hi Starr, I can do you a deal on 25 cards. Normally it would cost £50, but I will do them for you for £40 and free postage. How does that sound? Let me know. Just e-mail me on MarieAliceJoan at aol dot com