Monday, November 15, 2010

Money Matters

I watched a really interesting Oprah interview on YouTube last week with J.K. Rowling. I have been mentally chewing on the segment where the two women discuss what it's like to have been devastatingly poor and then to be billionaires. Rowling refers to having such wealth as having a "superpower," many everyday problems just aren't a problem anymore. Oprah mentions those moments where she finds herself debating between two choices and then remembers, "Oh, wait -- I can have them both!"

With Christmas approaching, I can't help but think about how I really DON'T want things. What I want is that superpower Rowling talks about: I want my cabinet rewired for British plugs, I want all the lights in the house to work, I want a dishwasher. I want it not to matter that I left all my maternity clothes in NJ. I want to live in a house where I can paint the walls & put up pictures anywhere I want & rip up the bathroom carpet (yes, it's gross). I don't want to have to choose between the kids' swimming lessons and replacing the timing belt on the car. I want that freedom from mundane problems.

But Christmas isn't supposed to be about any of that. So I'll try to remember that the superpower of Christmas is the freedom from death & sin that is celebrated as we remember a very important baby's birth.

4 comments:

christina said...

I remember that interview. It was interesting to see two billionaires banter back and forth about being so rich!

I love what you said about the superpower of Christmas. I'd mention it to the girls but I think they might get carried away with the "superpower" part. :)

Chrislynn said...

I feel the same way!

Jessica said...

Thank You starr, for reminding me that Life isn't always about thing's, it is about the people we love, the lives we touch and the lives that touch us, and most importantly about our Savior, and the plan He has for us!!

Hugs to you from NJ!
ps, do you need some prego clothes??

;)

Jeanne said...

Starr, that post is a real "keeper". When our kids were young, I used to think that I would feel "wealthy" if I could go into a grocery store & buy whatever I felt like buying....I still don't quite do that, but I do have a lot more freedom in that area. The thing is, it loses some of it's "zing" because we have no kids at home any more to share with! (The special food I could fix "if I could buy anything".) I would rather have the kids than the "grocery freedom"! And you are right--when we fix our eyes on Jesus, all the rest of the "stuff" falls into its proper place. Love you!