Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Guy!

"I knew the world community was excited about Obama's win, but fireworks?" Jason quipped as we gathered in Graham's bedroom to watch the twinkly lights of Bonfire Night.

"Bonfire Night" is the politically correct name of what was once known as "Guy Fawkes." Named for the man who once tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament, it's traditionally celebrated on November 5th with bonfires & fireworks.

Cami came home from school begging to get to see fireworks. But, just as she had for Independence Day, she finds it impossible to just sit & watch the show. There has to be some other distraction. So, I'm really glad I followed the impulse to take the kids upstairs to the room with the view (I covet Graham's view), where we could watch multiple fireworks displays simultaneously.

Watching all these beautiful bursts of light, it struck me how truly democratic fireworks are. If I want to enjoy the symbolic bombs bursting in air, I can't restrict my neighbors from enjoying the show. And living in a fairly affluent town, there are lots of neighbors unknowingly sharing their delights with us.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your first Guy Fawkes night experience. There is a family in our Ward that hosts a bonfire and fireworks extravaganza every year. We've never been able to go yet as I am always working without fail!