Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Politics

As I posted last week, I'm now a member of the Primary Presidency and so I was in charge of a Sharing Time lesson for the children age eight to eleven. About half of the children didn't know me at all, so I thought it was appropriate to steal a teaching technique from Jason: let every class member ask me one question.

Most of the questions were about life in America or what I thought of England. But I received a compliment from a mother in attendance with the question she asked. She wanted to know what I'd done to give Cami the confidence to walk into Primary and participate fully when we first arrived in England. Most of that confidence is innate, although my encouragement from babyhood to explore new environments probably helped.

But the thing that surprised me the most was when a nine year old asked what I thought of Barak Obama being elected president. And the thing that made Jason laugh this evening was that another child immediately asked, "Is he still the president?"

2 comments:

emily said...

To some that question would be completely reasonable...I personally feel change is good.

Tricia said...

I'm with that kid already.

But, that sounds like a great first sharing time activity! :)